Tom Fall is a massive up and comer from Finland. He has become one of the most in demand remixers in EDM, remixing tracks by artists like Cosmic Gate and W&W. Tom is really developing a cross breed sound between Trance and House that many people are catching on to. With Armin Van Buuren supporting his productions and unique style, there’s no limit for this guy in the future. Our reporter Cameron Dickison had the chance to interview Tom and this is how it went…
1. How did you first discover Electronic Dance Music. Did you start out as a DJ or Producer?
My childhood friend introduced me to EDM by showing me these old ‘Gary D’ trance collections. I instantly fell in love with electronic dance music at a young age, and since then I became very curious about DJing. Luckily I had a close friend working at a local nightclub who taught me the basics of mixing and some key tips, so I started out basically as a DJ.
2. What was it like to spin at ASOT 550 launch party at the legendary Ministry of Sound in London?
It was quite simply a dream come true. Ministry of Sound is one of those clubs that I always wanted to perform at, and now I got to do it being the very first performer in a month long ASOT550 tour. It was such an honour, and I seriously did not fathom anything like that to happen so quickly.
3. I heard you have a Morgan Page remix coming up this summer. Can you give us any hints about that track?
I wish I could. You’re one of the first to hear of this news, though. I can’t say much about this quite yet, but it’s a track from his latest artist album. It’s really cool to be doing a remix for him, as he’s become a huge force within the house scene. I am definitely grateful to do remixes for artists in both trance and house.
4. Your single iROK recently released on Armada’s Trice Recordings. What kind of feedback have you been getting on the track? Everyone I know has been loving it.
The feedback has been overwhelmingly great. To be honest, I was bit worried about this one, as it’s so much different from my recent remixes. I really didn’t know how it would be received, but it has gone over well in both the house and trance scenes. It has received support from Hardwell, Tritonal, and W & W, to name a few of each respective genre, so it feels absolutely great to gain this kind of support!
5. If you could collaborate with any other artist in the industry who would it be and why?
There’s so much great talent out there, both established and up & coming. At the moment, I would really love to collab with Hardwell. There’s just something about his sound that I absolutely love. It would be great to put our heads together and make some crazy, big ass house record!
6. Describe your sound.
I get asked this question often. I guess it’s a hybrid. My sound is everything and anything between progressive house, electro house, trance, and even some dubstep (yeah I said it!) influences with a big-room prog house arrangement. I’m sure it sounds intense, but it’s what I do, and I try to make each track memorable and unique. I really try to keep true to myself, versus what is the “in” thing at the moment.
7. What program do you use to produce and why?
I use Cubase 6.5. After I got my first Cubase SX back in the day, I fell in love with it and didn’t meander far from it. So quite simply, it has always been and will continue to be Cubase.
8. Armin van Buuren pres. Gaia — J’ai Envie De Toi (Tom Fall Remix) is set to drop July 16th. Tell me about this track. I believe I heard Armin drop it at EDC, pretty cool.
Yes, Armin started his EDC set with it. It’s such a privilege to remix such an iconic artist such as Armin. I really wanted to keep the melodies and the feeling from the original mix intact on my remix’s breakdowns, but I also wanted this to be more housey and definitely a more clubby remix, so I also created my usual bass-heavy, brutal drop. I’m so happy how it came out, and the feedback so far has been immense, from both Armin himself and the fans. I’m really excited for it’s release, so yes, don’t forget to grab your copy on July 16th!
9. 2012 has already been a pretty big year for you. What else do you have up your sleeve for the rest of the year?
It seems that it really has been, thankfully! I’ve got a few big gigs lined up. As far as releases, I just finished some pretty big remixes that I’m excited about. I just finished my remix for Armin van Buuren, one for Aruna’s next solo single, and also for Morgan Page to name a few. I’m really starting to focus on new original material, so loads of that is coming in the near future, as well.
10. You just booked your first USA gig. Wanna tell us where it is and how stoked you are to be a part of the EDM movement in America?
I’m very excited indeed. It’s on July 6th at District 36 in New York City. It’s going to be a huge night, as I know there are a lot of fans who are definitely coming down. I can’t wait to meet so many of them, and I’m pretty sure we’ll be doing a Meet & Greet session at the venue, as well. We worked so hard to make this happen, so it should be a lot of fun!
11. You will be playing in Ibiza with Armin for ASOT event in September. Will this mark the first time you play in Ibiza? If so, what do you expect that to be like?
I’ve never been in Ibiza even for a holiday, so I’m super excited to finally see the island. I expect the party to be the biggest to date for my career, and I’m definitely ready for it!
For press inquiries:
For the latest Tom Fall news, check out: